eckstein cultural arts center
where community expresses itself
The Eckstein Cultural Arts Center story began long before it was envisioned as a gathering place for shared cultural experiences for the village as well as an attraction to the surrounding communities and businesses.
The story began long before the school was estsblished in 1915. Miss Eleanor Eckstein (whom the school was named after) began teaching colored children in the barn of her property in 1865. In 1869 the Glendale Board decided to establish a colored school and a committee was established.
In 1870 the "Ice House" school at 65 South Lake Street was rented and equipped as Miss Eckstein was paid $50 a month and became the teacher. In 1879 Miss Eckstein resigned and in 1887 the school discontinued, was sold, and the colored children went to Congress Avenue School. In 1915 Congress Avenue School became crowed and JJ burchenal bought the Virdin house and donated it as a school for the colored children. In 1916 the Virdin house was improved and named Eckstein School.
In 1928 the Gymnasium/Auditorium was added and the building stuccoed for the 88 students who attended the school. In 1952, 14 children boycott Eckstein School. NAACP condemn Glendale for segregation and 14 children were admitted to Congress Avenue School. In 1955 Glendale schools consolidate into Princeton Schools, and in 1958 Eckstein School closes and becomes a facility of multipurposes for Princeton City Schools. In 2009 the Village of Glrndale reaquires Eckstein School. Since that time hte building as remained empty.
Our board and staff of volunteers are excited to lead the next generation of creativity
in the beautiful and historic community of Glendale!